Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 1


Week 1 (1/17-1/23)

How big- Sam was born at 7lbs3oz. At discharge on 1/21, Sam was 6lbs4oz. He had a weight loss of 13.25% while in the hospital. On 1/22, Sam was 6lbs7oz when meeting with the lactation consultant.

Clothing size- Newborn- Newborn is swimming on him.

Eating- We had to start supplementing in the hospital, which was not my plan. This has been a huge concern and issue for us. It has also been a self confidence issue, regret, and very heavy on my heart as a mother.

Sleep- Huh?? This week Sam likes to be up all night and sleep all day. Party animal here folks.

Movement- he loves to kick his long, muscular legs every moment he can.

Milestones- being born. This little guy was very long awaited by many people. I have never been prouder in my entire life to say our rainbow baby is here!

Hardest Moment- Weight loss tied with having to put him under the bili lights for 24 hours. He hated it so much and it broke my heart that I couldn’t hold him to comfort him. I hate to have my newborn baby screaming and I can’t go and scoop him up to make him better. Since we could not hold him except to feed him, I would make sure to have his feedings last for at least a hour.

Best Moment- being discharged from the hospital. Our miracle baby was coming home with us!

Hospital Days- Thursday 1/16-Tuesday 1/21. More than ready to go home!

Coming home- We left the hospital at 11am on Tuesday 1/21. We stopped downstairs to say goodbye to Aunt Manda before leaving the hospital. So many people came to cheer us on as we left, people who didn’t even know us but knew of our story that it made me tear up. Felt so unbelievably blessed. Frank drove us home while I sat in the back seat with Sam. We had about a 50 minute drive home from the hospital. I spent 55 minutes of the drive in the backseat crying happy tears while staring at this gift from heaven. The coming home process was more emotional then the labor part for me. We were finally bringing a baby home!

First Dr’s visit- I always knew who I wanted Sammy’s  doctor to be. I feel like it was the best decision I made and couldn’t feel more comfortable with who he is seeing. A doctor who I used to work with who has values, goals, and the personality that I can agree with. I am very picky about doctors but I don’t have to second guess myself even once wondering if I made the right decision.  At the first appointment, we weighed Sam who was still 6lbs4oz. This was hard for me because I have been breast feeding him and supplementing him with 30cc (1ounce) at every feed every 2-2.5 hours. Insert emotional breakdown while we were left in the room alone. Thank goodness Frank was there with me to help. I wouldn’t have been able to keep my cool. The doctor gave us lots of reassurance with the weight and knows me well because I think he could tell how upset and concerned I was. He agreed with our current plan of breastfeeding as Sam would like and supplementing with 1ounce. I also am pumping with every feed for 20 minutes. The doctor said it was up to us if we wanted to keep waking Sam up to eat. The doctor felt that it is important for me to be sleeping more since we are a week post-partum and I still don’t have a milk supply in yet. We will extend his feedings to every 2.5-3 hours. I will also bring Sam back on Tuesday for another weight check. The doctor is very happy with his color and doesn’t feel we need to be concerned about jaundice. Sam is doing great!

Highlights- This week was full of highlights. Having Sam born safely and healthy, coming home, and walking through the front door with Sam were beyond highlights this week. I just can't believe we have our rainbow baby here, healthy, and home with us. We owe a very special thank you to his big brother upstairs <3

No comments:

Post a Comment